Oak Island, North Carolina
Crane Bay Farms Manager
Position: Farm Manager
Status: Regular, Full‐Time, Non‐Exempt
Hours: 40 hours per week
About Crane Bay Farms
Crane Bay Farms is being established in co-ordination with a new active senior living community in Oak Island, NC. The farming operation will A) provide fresh vegetables sold on a CSA model to residents of the community and the general public, and B) establish a perennial nursery for fruit and landscaping trees. All farming operations will use organic methods. The initial farm site will cover an approximately 25 acre area, with plans to expand and include additional agricultural enterprises over time.
The Farm Manager will oversee the development of the first two agricultural enterprises at Crane Bay Farms, an organic mixed vegetable CSA and a perennial nursery,
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Establish crop production for the community CSA and perennial nursery, including land preparation, crop design, ordering, planting, pest management, propagation, transplanting, weeding, watering, and harvesting
· Coordinate distribution of CSA shares to members and sales of surplus produce not sold through CSA
· Supervise and coordinate with other farmers renting land for operations
· Support farm infrastructure development, including irrigation systems, greenhouses, outbuildings, and equipment
· Greet and answer guest questions about the farm
· Lead volunteers and community members as required
· Manage a team of farm workers in day-to-day farm tasks
· Collect data and support organized record-keeping
· Assist in implementation of farm education and events
· Host guests and lead occasional tours
· Participate in regular staff meetings
Required Qualifications and Experiences
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Strong knowledge of the local season, geography, and area (Brunswick County/Southport, NC)
· At least 3 years of farming experience, especially within the fields of organic farming focused on vegetable production, Community Supported Agriculture, and nursery production, and marketing agricultural products
· Passion for interacting with, educating, and leading a diversity of community participants, volunteers and staff of varied ages and backgrounds.
· Strong knowledge of agricultural equipment use and maintenance.
· Cooperative, service‐oriented attitude and ability to work independently and take initiative, set priorities and see projects through to completion.
· Strong communication, interpersonal and relationship development skills.
· Creative skills and ability to experiment to attain new, better strategies, approaches, and solutions to problems.
· Flexibility and willingness to take on a variety of tasks along with an ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative, team-driven environment
· Strong work ethic and ability to perform strenuous physical labor in inclement weather.
· Computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and email
· Detail oriented
· A valid driver’s license
Salary commensurate with experience. Crane Bay Farms offers a competitive benefits package.
Essential Physical Tasks
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Continuous walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting and pushing/pulling up to 50 lbs., cutting and carrying.
Crane Bay Farms is an equal opportunity employer. To apply, please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!